Marshalswick South Focus Team

Councillors, Rod Perks and Allan Witherick working with Andrew Duff MEP and Melvyn Teare for you Learn more

Read more on this

Read more on this

Have you checked your Fire Alarm?

by awitherick on 27 March, 2011

Not a million miles away a family of five from Redbourn were saved from a fire after being awoken by the sound of a carbon monoxide detector.
The detector, located in the kitchen, was set off by a dishwasher which had been left on and had caught fire.

Crews from Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue’s Redbourn station, located just a short distance from the family’s home, were able to extinguish the fire quickly. It was contained to the kitchen, as the family had shut the kitchen door before going to bed.

County Councillor Allan Witherick said: “Having an alarm installed is one thing- but when did you check it last by pushing the button?  This family were lucky, it almost certainly saved their lives and their home.
Don’t put your family at risk, make sure that you have a fire alarm,  and in some cases  a carbon monoxide tester as well.  A small investment could be repaying you for a life time…”

If you do have an electrical fire and ONLY if it is safe to do so – pull the plug out, or switch off the power at the fuse box. In some cases this can stop the fire immediately. Never use water on an electrical fire, and don’t take any risks with your safety – get out, stay out and call 999.

   Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>